Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 3/Day 4

Day 2 and 3 have been such a whirlwind. Yesterday we were going to go to a prison in the Katanga Slum. It rained so heavily that morning that we had to skip out on that part. So went ahead and went to the Garden City Mall. Callie and I were set on chicken and mushroom pizza but the pizza place was closed. So ordered chicken fried rice from The Woc. Not 5 minutes after we ordered, the pizza place opened. We were all a little disappointed. From there we went to the most fun gathering I have ever been to. A Ugandan baptism. Very very different from a baptism back home. First of all, it took place in Lake Victoria. That's only the biggest lake in Africa. Africa is a rather large place if you haven't already heard. Second of all, there were close to 40 Africans singing in Lugandan and dancing as their brothers and sisters in Christ came walking out of the water. The people coming out of the water were even dancing! The last reason I had so much fun is because I met my new best friend. He didn't say much. He was three years old and his name is Musa. I will definitely be showing everyone pictures. One of the ladies getting baptized passed him off to me so she could get in the water. He rode on my shoulders the whole time as we sang, danced, and watched the people be dunked. I never actually saw him smile. But someone said he had a grin on his face while we were bouncing to the song. That put a smile on my face. I'll never forget those eyes, there was so much pain and sorrow, but at the same time they could switch to pure joy in one second. After the baptism I didn't want to let go, but his sister came to me and said "We must leave now.". Those words cut like a knife. When she took his hand to walk away he looked back as they climbed in the van, smiled, and waved. I thought I was going to lose it.

After the baptism we went to a local ice cream place and it was amazing. I had orange ice cream and the bottle of sprite. Part of the sprite ended up on Kenneth(one of our translators). A group of us wound up ministering to two men in the ice cream shop. After that we came back to the hotel, ate dinner, and crashed.

The next morning we visited another slum. Would you believe that we converted a Muslim missionary by telling the story of the woman at the well, AT the well!?! Well believe it. Because it happened. More on that later.

In the afternoon we visited another slum. I got to share the gospel with a catholic witch doctor. I was terrified. But Benon helped me through it. She didn't accept Jesus, but it was clear on her face that a seed was planted.

That's all for now.

One love
Tucker

No comments:

Post a Comment