Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 2 - Tucker

Wow. I must say I was afraid that it would not set in that I was in Africa until I left. I was mistaken. Seeing the faces of the men, women, and children in the slums last night and and today made it real. I burned through my first camera card in two days if that tells you anything. I just want everyone back home to see what I have seen and am getting to see. Uganda has been the most welcoming place I have ever visited. Someone in our group was actually offered to bottles of Mountain Dew from a family in one of the slums today. Someone who literally has nothing, gave away two prized possessions. Another woman my group talked with today was taking care of her 4 mentally ill brothers, and had been for nearly six years after her parents died. She was 24. That means she was taking care of them at my age. MY AGE. I couldn't even take care of my one sister. And she is not even mentally ill. Sometimes. That is all I could write so far, even though I've experienced so many things. Oh and I am a mzungu!

One love
Tucker

No comments:

Post a Comment